Skip to page body Home Customer Service How To Environment Projects & Programs About Us

Community Assistance Program-Hetch Hetchy Power

Single and Multi-Family Residential Customers

program banner

The SFPUC Power Community Assistance Program (CAP) helps single and multi-family residential customers pay their electric bills. Eligible customers receive the SFPUC Low-Income Residential Service Schedule R-2. 

Eligibility Criteria

  • The electric bill is in your name.
  • You are a full-time resident at the address where the discount will be received.
  • You have only one electric service with the SFPUC.
  • You are not claimed as a dependent on another person’s tax return.
  • Your total combined household gross income does not exceed income guidelines shown below.

NOTE: If you your income is above the amounts shown in the table below, you may still be eligible for the Emergency Bill Relief Programs we offer.

Income Guidelines Effective July 1, 2020 – June 30, 2021

Your total combined household gross income should be less than or equal to the amount shown in the table.

Number of persons in household
Total combined annual income
1 or 2 $34,480
3 $43,440
4 $52,400
5 $61,360
Each additional Add $8,960 for each additional household member

Note: Household income is defined as the combined gross income of ALL persons who live in the household, whether taxable or non-taxable. Gross income includes, but is not limited to the total income from: Wages, salaries, pensions, unemployment benefits, disability payments or workers compensation, Gross Income from self-employment (IRS Form 1040 Schedule C), child or spousal support, worker's compensation, unemployment benefits, proceeds-sales price (IRS Form 1040 Schedule D), interest or dividends from savings accounts, stocks, bonds, retirement accounts, rent or royalty income, cash income or gifts, scholarships, grants, or other aid used for living expenses, insurance or legal settlements, Social Security, SSI, SSP, SSDI.

Income Verification

Option 1: I currently receive CalWorks, CalFresh, or Medi-Cal benefits from San Francisco Human Services Agency (HSA) and give permission to HSA to share my income information.

By selecting this option, I give permission to HSA to share limited income information with SFPUC for every income-earning member of my household. My information shall be shared only as needed to determine whether I qualify for SFPUC’s Community Assistance Program. I understand that this database can only show my name, my address, and whether my household income falls within certain percentages of federal poverty guidelines based on information I have previously provided to HSA. This release of information expires one year from the date I sign on page 2 unless I cancel it in writing before then.

OPTION 2: I will submit a signed copy of the most recent Federal Tax Return(s) for all income-earning members of my household.

Please submit all pages of the Tax Return. All household members without income should be listed as dependents on the Federal Tax Return of another household member; if not listed, submit required documents specified in Option 3.

• OPTION 3: I will submit income documentation and proof of occupancy for each member of my household because my Federal Tax Return is NOT available.

Income Documentation may include: 2 consecutive paycheck stubs; 2 consecutive copies of Social Security or SSI checks; W-2 forms; Social Security benefit statement; unemployment benefits statement. 

Proof of Occupancy may include: recurring bills, bank statements, or other correspondence that includes the name of the household member and the service address of the electric bill. List which documents you are submitting for each household member in Section D.

Each household member should submit his/her own individual income documentation as listed above, with their name and address printed on the form. Any dependents or other individuals in the household without income (i.e., children, elderly, non-working) should either appear as a dependent on the Federal Tax Return of another household member or should submit a copy of a recent recurring bill, bank statement, or other type of correspondence that includes the name of the household member and the service address of the water bill.

OPTION 4: Instead of federal tax return documents, I will submit an application signed by the authorized representative of the property management company certifying I meet the income guidelines.

This option requires a landlord or another authorized representative of the property management company to certify you meet the qualifying income guidelines. By signing the application, they certify that the tenant indicated on the application is a recipient of low-income housing, and that the household income and household size indicated is true and correct.

To Apply for CAP

For income verification options #1-3, complete the application below.

For income verification option #4, complete the following application.

Complete and ensure all required signatures are included and date the application. 

Mail or drop-off completed application to:

San Francisco Water, Power, and Sewer
Customer Services, Attention: SFPUC Power CAP Program
525 Golden Gate Avenue, 3rd Floor, San Francisco, CA 94102


Call us at (415) 551-4720.

Please Note:

Anyone receiving the CAP discount and found to be in violation of program rules will be removed from the program and may be liable for repayment of the discount from the time that the discount was received.

Please see the SFPUC Guide to Bill Relief for all available programs.

Last updated: 12/8/2020 11:50:09 AM